I never made a pumpkin pie before and I always though making a crust is super hard but I made this awesome recipe for Thanksgiving, all from scratch, it was the BOM ! everybody love it and I am planing to make it again for Christmas :).
I have to say that originally I had a pumpkin pie recipe I found in Facebook but thanks to my husband’s friend Skye Manning, she is awesome, a great chef you have to see what she can do in the kitchen, yummy yummy :)… I made this one that you will love it. I am so thankful she didn’t mind to shared that recipe because I love it and it is very easy to make.
- 12 tbs (1 1/2 sticks) very cold unsalted butter
- 3 cups all – purpose flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbs sugar
- 1/3 cup very cold vegetable shortening
- 6 to 8 tbs (about 1/2 cup) ice water. (it needed the 8 tbs of ice water)
Dice the butter and return it to the refrigerator while you prepare the flour mixture. Place the flour, salt and sugar in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade and pulse a few times to mix.
Add the butter and shortening. Pulse 8 to 12 times, until the butter is the size of peas. Whit the machine running, pour the ice water down the feed tube and pulse the machine until the dough begins to form a ball. Dump out on a floured board and roll into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Cut the dough in half. Roll each piece on a well – floured board into a circle, rolling from the center to the edge, turning and flouring the dough to make sure it doesn’t stick to the board. Fold the dough in half, place in a pie pan, and unfold to fit the pan. Repeat with the top crust.
*** I diced the butter and put it in the freezer until frozen. The butter and the shortening needs to be as cold as possible.
Blind Bake The Crust
Line the pie crust with parchment or aluminum foil and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake util the edges just start to brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove the weights and lining and bake for another 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and keep near the stove.
Step To Make Pumpkin Puree
- Remove stem and split pumpkin in half.
- Sprinkle inside with salt.
- Place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper cut side down.
- Roast for 30 – 45 minutes at 400 degrees or until the flash is easily pierced with a sharp knife.
- Rest on a cooling rack for 1 hour.
- Scoop out the flesh from inside the pumpkin and put in a food processor.
- Process for 3 to 4 minutes or until the flesh is smooth and thoroughly pureed.
To Make Pumpkin Pie Filling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring 1 pound of pumpkin puree to a simmer over medium heat until it’s slightly thickens up about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk.
- 1/2 tsp of kosher salt.
- 1/2 tsp of freshly ground nutmeg.
- 1/16 tsp of cardamom.
- 1/3 tsp of allspice.
- 1/3 tsp of cinnamon.
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger.
- Kill the heat and let it cool for 10 minutes.
- Whisk together two large eggs plus one egg yolk in a bowl.
- Add 3/4 cup of brown sugar whisk until smooth.
- Slowly add the puree whisking continuously.
- Add to a container that has a spout.
- Place pie pan with crust in the oven and pour the mixture just below the lip
- Bake for 45 – 60 minutes or until the center is just jiggly which is about 195 degrees and the center and 205 degrees around the edges.
- Cool pie for three hours before serving or refrigerating.